The Greensboro Jewish Federation is the voice of our local Jewish community and for millions of Jews around the world. Giving care to those in need, giving deeper engagement in quality of life, and giving strength to the community, in Greensboro, Israel and around the world is at the heart of what we do. The Greensboro Jewish community is rapidly growing and changing, and there is a need to enhance and build upon our strong history of community relations across Greensboro and North Carolina as well as the recognized and respected branding of our mission and values. We seek an experienced professional with a strong writing background and proven track-record of strategically and mindfully building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders. We work in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment so the ability to prioritize and work well under pressure while maintaining high quality levels is crucial.
Reporting to the Marketing and Design Manager, the Editor and Content Specialist is responsible for the publication of Shalom Greensboro – a quarterly magazine of the Greensboro Jewish Federation, and social media content. This includes writing and editing content that connects donors to our mission and advances the needs and concerns of the Federation and the greater Jewish community, creating and adhering to publishing timelines.
Shalom Greensboro Responsibilities include:
- Serve on, staff, and manage the Shalom Greensboro Editorial Board. Plan, organize and record meeting minutes. Plan content themes, assign writers for lead articles and create an editorial calendar several issues in advance.
- Schedule photo shoot for the magazine cover by coordinating with the Marketing and Design Manager, professional photographer, and individual(s) to be featured. Obtain all necessary approvals and permissions.
- Write content and/or provide substantive editing and feedback on all submissions to meet publication standards established by the Editorial Board. Create relationships and communicate with Shalom Greensboro stakeholders to secure articles, interview sources, attend and photograph events, write headlines and other content as necessary.
- Work closely and collaboratively with Marketing and Design Manager to take pages from concept to final product and compile edited content into a format that they can use to produce the magazine. Circulate proofs and obtain final approval before publication.
- Coordinate with Events and Corporate Partnerships Manager and the Marketing and Design Manager to ensure accurate placement of paid advertising in the publication.
- Manage reader feedback and remediate issues after publication.
- Maintain the evolving development of the Shalom Greensboro Style Guide.
- Serve as thought leader by keeping up with developing trends in the field of magazine publishing and the consideration of new/alternative channels of communication, including ways to measure engagement/response of the audience
Other Responsibilities include:
- Generate, edit, publish and share content on social media platforms that meets social media strategy guidelines established by the Events and Corporate Partnerships Manager
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Design Manager, create the Federation’s annual Impact Report. Solicit and compile content from all staff and community members. Circulate proofs and obtain final approval before publication.
- Serve on Federation Marketing Committee and assist preparing and editing organizational publications, press releases and other media communications to support the strategic marketing plan or promote programs of the Federation
- Lead proofreader in evaluating written text in print, email and social media marketing for grammatical and typographical errors
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism or related field
- At least two years of experience in a writing, editing or communications field with demonstrated leadership
- Ability to proofread and edit content thoroughly, with care and attention to detail, correcting for punctuation, grammar, spelling, and proper use of the AP Style of writing
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Ability to work independently, excellent organizational, planning and interpersonal communication skills; ability to set priorities and handle multiple contributors, and meet various deadlines simultaneously
- Personable, enthusiastic, self-motivated professional; comfortable in a fast-paced working environment, including occasional nights and weekends
- Ability to work closely with others in a team environment, and effectively interact with all levels of management, community leaders, donors, and volunteers
- Highly motivated, creative and passionate about serving the needs of and continuous learning about trends in the Jewish community
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge and understanding of Jewish practices, customs, history, and community infrastructure a plus
- Familiarity with the programs and services of the Greensboro Jewish Federation and its constituent agencies a plus
- Knowledge of the greater Greensboro community